I feel like I have mentioned Apia a lot in my other blogs
but I haven’t explained enough of why it is so exciting to go there! Apia is the capitol city of Samoa and is the
only city in Samoa. They have a
McDonald’s! It used to have a movie theatre but it was destroyed in Cyclone
Evan and they should be opening it soon. But they have multiple restaurants, hotels, internet cafes, a library (which apparently
is kind of disappointing, but let’s not be picky), banks, markets, shops, actual grocery stores
that you go into instead of the stores in the villages where you stand at the
window and tell them what you want and they bring it to you, nightclubs, and
bars. You see where the analogy of Apia
to NYC comes in, right?
The truth is, Apia is just really exciting because of what
it entails. To understand this, you have
to understand village life. So in the
village, you are always being watched and everyone always knows what you are
doing, who you are talking to, where you are going, and you will get asked
these questions every time you go outside. You also can’t just leave your house whenever you want, especially at
night. You have to wear a lavalava everywhere you go, which is basically just an extra piece of
fabric to make you even hotter and even less attractive. In the village, I eat taro everyday. It’s usually accompanied by fish (which I
actually do really really love, but it’s pretty much the same everyday),
chicken soup, or chop suey. IN the day
time I eat crackers or instant noodles or a canned soda from the store and
sometimes an ice-cream when it’s not “finished”. Sometimes you can throw an orange in there
when they are around. That’s pretty much the extent of my diet. Also, in the
village I speak Samoan 95% of them time and English 5% of the time. I really do love my village, I love school, I love my kids, I LOVE volleyball, I love my friends, but sometimes you just want to get out of the village life for a minute.
So, what does this have to do with Apia? When you go to Apia you are free!!! You can
wear whatever you want. I pretty much
just wear shorts or capris, but I try to avoid lavalavas at all cost. You can also go wherever you want to go
whatever time you want to go. It’s
pretty great. One of my favorite parts
about Apia is the food options! It’s amazing how excited a fish enchilada or
cheeseburger can make you when you’ve been eating the same food for
months. And in Apia, almost everyone
speaks English! But the VERY BEST part of the Apia trips is getting to hangout
with my friends! I love being able to spend time with my fellow PCVs,
especially the ones that have become some of my very best friends!
Usually we go on Friday afternoons or on the 6:00am ferry
Saturday morning. Getting to Apia is
quite a journey. I usually wait for the bus for 30 mins to an hour. And then the bus ride is an hour or an hour
and a half. And then the ferry ride is
an hour and ten minutes. Then the bus ride from the warf to Apia is 50
mins. But even after the four or so
hours of traveling, I’m too excited to be there and see my friends that I don’t
even feel tired. We usually go straight
to the hotel and crank up the air conditioner (except for the times we have
been stuck in the non AC rooms, which were a little depressing) . Then it’s not long before I jump in the
shower and enjoy the hot water for a good 30 mins or so. Then it’s off to eat!
Again, one of my favorite parts! There
is generally time spent interneting, watching a movie, walking around, and just
spending time together in general. But
it’s never long enough. It honestly
feels like the weekend flies by and then it’s Sunday again and we are waiting at the
market for the bus to take us to the ferry which will take us to the next bus
that will take us back to our individual villages. Back at our villages, it’s not long before we
are calling and texting again about when our next trip to Apia will be. I feel very grateful that I was sent to Samoa
with such a great group of people. They
truly inspire me to be better, work harder, be more optomisitc, and to try
harder to make the world a better place.
No comments:
Post a Comment