Things here have gotten so much better this term than they
were in term 1. I feel so much happier
and like I’m starting to feel at home here.
School has been slow this semester, but good. I’m teaching my kids Zoo Phonics, which is
letter sounds through animal names. It’s
fun and they love it. I see progress
with them, but it’s slow because I only have a very limited amount of time with
them. But next term it will be
better! I am planning another English Day which will
be like a spelling bee, which I think will be a lot of fun for the kids and the
parents. I’m really hoping it will be fun! And then we are having a soccer
festival the last week of school, so my principal has roped me into being the
soccer coach of sorts—I have led a couple of practices but mostly they just
play an unorganized game with themselves for a couple hours in the
evenings. During the term break I am
planning an English camp for the kids with another volunteer and his
students. It’s only three days, but it
should be a lot of fun for the kids. I’m excited!! We are planning scavenger hunts, crafts,
plays, songs, games, reading activities, and lots of cool things! I think it
will be great.
We are also planning a GLOW (Girls Leading Our World)
Conference in September –which will soon be posted online and asking for
donations from friends and family back in the states, so I’ll give more
information about it when that time comes.
Basically its going to be a really neat experience for the older girls
in the Primary Schools that will talk about career options, importance of
education, Health and other topics. Many
of the girls have never been to Apia before so this will be their first time. I
think it will be awesome! I’m probably the most excited about this right
now.
On Monday I’ll be volunteering at the Special Olympics in
Savaii, which I’m excited about. And
then next week will come back to Apia for the Closing Ceremony of the Pacific
Partnership. SO things have definitely
picked up in terms of my busyness level—but anyone that knows me, knows I love
being busy! And I think being busy makes me feel more useful and makes me feel
more excited to be here! I’m loving it! Anyways, that’s a pretty general update
of things in Samoa. I really am grateful
everyday to be here. It’s a great
blessing.
No comments:
Post a Comment