HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY, SAMOA!
October 7th marked one year since our plane
landed in Samoa on that hot Sunday morning.
It’s absolutely insane how quickly the time has gone by. It’s weird because a day can drag on here like
none other, but months fly by. Time is
strange on the islands.
This last year has been an emotional roller coaster,
containing some of the best and some of the hardest times in my life. I feel like I have been more challenged here
than anywhere else before, but I have also felt more rewarded here than
anywhere else before. Most days I love
Samoa, but there have definitely been some days when I think I just want to go
home today and never come back! They say
Peace Corps is the “toughest job you’ll ever love.” I never understood it until I got into the
thick of what it really means to be a Peace Corps Volunteer. What does being a PCV mean to me? It means giving your last 20 tala to your
family or someone in need because they don’t have food for the night. It means sharing your ice cream you’ve been
thinking about getting for 2 weeks with a kid at the shop. It means doing
things you don’t want to do, like dancing in public. It means helping a kid with homework at 9:00
at night. It means cold showers every
day without complaining. It means
sweating bullets everyday when you walk home in the sun in your school uniform
which happens to be the heaviest and least breathiest material on the planet
(and did I mention it covers neck to ankles?). It means only having about 4
different meal options. It means
crackers or fried flour and water for breakfast every morning. It means only being able to talk to your
family once a month, maybe. It means
getting to see the rewards of your work in your students. It means getting to listen to a kid read a
book they couldn’t have read 6 months ago.
It means getting to hold hands with 40 different kids on any given
day. It means endless kisses and
hugs. It means singing the same song 20
different times because the kids love it so much. It means dancing silly because the kids think
it’s funny. It means staying positive
even on the days you don’t know what you are doing here. It means remembering that I am an only one
person, I can’t do much, but I can do something.
I’ve been contemplating a lot the idea of time, and how
afraid I am of leaving without having done all that I can here in Samoa. It’s
scary how quickly time goes by, and how easy it is to say “Oh today is a busy
day, I’ll do something good for someone tomorrow.” I think I’m learning here how important EVERY
single day is. And how important EVERY
single interaction is. How we treat
people makes all the difference in the world.
What we do with our time is up to us, but when it’s gone it’s gone and you
can’t get it back. I know, for me, I
don’t want to waste a single day not trying to do as much as I can to try and
bring a little more good or a little more happiness or a little more kindness
into the world. Because, Heaven knows,
with all the bad that there is in the world, we need as much goodness as we can
get.
No comments:
Post a Comment