Thursday, May 16, 2013

Mother's Day in Samoa


Mother’s Day was great here in Samoa.  As with any big occasion, there was a lot of food and church! I got to help my neighbors in making the candy necklaces for the women at the church, which was fun! I mostly just like doing it to spend time with them, but it was neat to learn how to make a necklace out of saran wrap and ribbon.  At church I felt a little homesick and missed my mom when I saw all the girls giving their moms the necklaces, but I also felt a lot of love from the women in the village on that day.  I know that they know I miss my family and I know they care about me.  I can feel their love, which makes me love them even more. 
After church, I went back home to have to’ona’i with my family, which turned out to just be my mom and sister because my dad and brother had gone to have to’ona’i with his family.  It was probably the best meal that I have had in Samoa, not only was the food good, but we had the best conversation because it was just so few of us and just the girls.  It was really nice.  I gave my mom a lotion from America (which she loved!),  a necklace, earrings, and a pair of shoes and she seemed really surprised and happy with the gift.  I realized how much I really do love my host family.  They are so good to me and so kind.  Especially, my host mom.  She always tells me there is nothing I need to worry about, which I just laugh at because I feel like I’m worried a million things at any given point in the day, but it’s just nice to know that they really do want me to feel relaxed and happy here.
I definitely miss my mom and have had lots of time to ponder how much I am grateful for her and all the lessons she has taught me throughout my life.  I feel very blessed to have a mom and stepmom that are both kind and supportive in all that I do.  I was so happy to be able to talk to both of my moms on Mother’s Day and then, like any great holiday in Samoa, top it off with a few games of Volleyball! What more could a girl ask for? 

No comments:

Post a Comment