Friday, February 22, 2013

These are a few of my favorite things....


A few things I love about Samoa….
I love that the people can sleep anywhere.  They can sleep in moving cars or buses, they can sleep standing up on the bus holding onto the rail, they can sleep with any amount of noise, they can sleep on the bare floor, they can sleep in any sort of position (ie, hanging out of a car or bus window), basically, Samoans can sleep anytime, anywhere! I love it. 

I love that to get a taxi you just put your hand in a pulling, come here motion and make a super loud kissing noise. And more than that, I love that taxi drivers always seem to hear the kissing noise, even when their music is blaring and their windows are up.

I love that the buses are always crowded and it doesn’t matter how packed it is, or if there are no empty seats, laps, or standing room, they always manage to fit more people on the bus.  In reality, I have a very love hate relationships because they can be very uncomfortable when you have someone sitting on your lap and your leg is digging into a piece of metal for an hour, but generally I find them entertaining because they are absolutely the most crowded things I have ever seen.

I also love that people always seem confident that their children are safe even if they don’t know where they are, and as far as I have seen they are always safe. 

I  love that I have a watch in Samoa. This isn’t really about Samoa, but it is something I love.  I have never really worn a watch before, but for some reason here in Samoa I love it.  It’s kind of funny because this place has the most fluid definition of time I have ever seen, but for some reason the watch gives me comfort.  I also seem to think that it has magical powers.  I look at it to see how much longer events are going to last, even when I don’t know the time the event should end.  I seem to think that the watch can tell me how much longer the event will be.  I also look at it to find the score in volleyball.  Like for some reason, the watdh will be able to update me on how badly my team is losing.

I love that every Sunday we eat lu au and taro from the umu. That's my favorite meal in Samoa. And even when I'm not here to eat with my family, because my church goes to late or because I have been out of the village, they always save me some and have it waiting for me when I get home. 

I love that school starts an hour late when it's raining, along with everything else. 

I love that kids see me from inside their houses when I'm walking in the street and say "MALO ALI!!" even though I have no idea where they are hiding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment