This weekend I had the opportunity to travel to Savai’i and
visit the village I will be living in permanently after next month. It was a very good experience! I was greeted
at the warf by my principal, host father, and a couple other men from the
school committee. It was very weird leaving all the other volunteers because we
have been doing pretty much everything together for the last month (which feels
like a lot longer—In a good way!) and we all just kind of scattered as we got
off the ferry. It was probably good for
me to have the realization that we are not going to be together for much
longer, but I’m really going to miss the friends I have made. Anyways, so we got to the warf and all
scattered. I spent the next several hours driving around and eating a quick
lunch with the men. I finally got to meet my host sister and brother and mom a
little later in the afternoon. They are all so kind. My dad is very talkative and my little brother
is sooo cute! My mom sewed me a Puletasi yesterday, so that was very nice of
her. She wanted to make sure I had
something nice to wear to school. It’s
funny how quickly they make me feel like a part of the family. My parents are both 42 and they have 2 kids
that live with them. There is a 16 year
old girl and a 11 year old boy. They
both a friend/cousin(?) living with them too, so another girl that is 15 and
another 10 year old boy. I kind of wish
my parents would have let me have a friend come live with me just because they
didn’t have enough children or other kids for me to play with, but I’ll save
the woes of being an only child for another day. The first day, we just went around the village and visited the school. I was only at the school for just a minute,
but all the students did say “Good Afternoon, Ali” in unison to greet me, so
that was cute. We also went swimming in
the sea in the afternoon. It was very nice.
They didn’t have the same white sand beach that Utulaelae does, but it
was crystal clear water with fine white sand on the sea floor. So, I’m definitely not complaining! I really
love the ocean any time I can see the bottom and can swim in it!
My family has a pretty big compound, especially for as few
of them as there are. There is a main
open empty fale (just a structure with no walls and no furniture), then an open
fale for eating (ust a few chairs and a picnic table), and then an open cooking
fale, and then an open sleeping fale with a couple of beds and chairs, and then
there is my house! My house is a western style fale with walls and windows
(just open windows, no screens or anything, but it’s nice for the breeze). I stay with the younger girls in the house,
but I have my own room. I am very happy
to announce that I do have running water and a flushing toilet in my
house! It’s no four seasons, but it has
absolutely everything I need. I will
have to buy a small fridge and some sort of cooking device (there is no stove),
but Peace Corps gives us a little allowance for these things, so that will be
perfect! My school is about a 15 minute
walk from where I live, and there is an LDS church right beside the school, so
that will be perfect! My village is
located on the lava fields, so it’s covered in big black rocks everywhere. It’s
different than any other village I’ve seen here. There was a volcano that erupted here in the
1900s and the lava rocks everywhere are the result of that. If there was every anything here before that
happened, it was definitely destroyed.
I went to my school today for the whole day! I was welcomed
with a traditional ava ceremony, during which all of the men from the school
committee said kind words welcoming me, and one tried marrying me off to the
other single male teacher. The students
performed some songs and dances that were precious, and then as the highlight
of the event—I was asked to dance in front of all of the students, teachers,
principal, and school committee. It was
one of the most awkward situations I have ever been in. First of all, I don’t dance. Second of all, I
really don’t dance when I don’t have something prepared. Third, I don’t dance
to music that’s not hip hop, i.e. children singing and clapping the words to
some Samoan song. So, regardless to say
it was not the most pleasant experience for anyone involved. However, we all
made it through it with very little injury.
The students thought it was funny, the teachers got excited to have a
project, and I learned that sometimes we just have to do things we don’t want
to do because it’s what we need to do. I
really did not want to dance, but I felt like it would show my fellow teachers
that I respected them and was grateful to be there. I also thought about all of the awkward,
uncomfortable, and unpleasant situations that you encounter when you are in a
different culture and I think it’s a great quality to learn to just embrace
them and not dread them. I really felt so excited to be there at my
school today. The kindness just radiated
from them. Even though we didn’t have
many deep conversations, I felt their love and I felt love for them. The
students were so happy and the teachers seemed so excited. They kept telling me
this was the first time they have had a Pisikoa and how excited they were for
me to help them. I was already thinking about all of the projects I want to do
while I’m here, especially related to the reading groups. I won’t be teaching one class, but rather
pulling out small groups of students to work on literacy. I’ll be doing most of this in the “library”
which consists of such a small number of books it almost made me cry, then I
looked at the english books, I did tear up a bit. I definitely want to work on developing the
library and helping the teachers learn how to use the computers (that’s one of the
things the teachers asked me if I could do). It’s kind of an overwhelming feeling, but it’s
also one of the best feelings! We
watched a clip from John F. Kennedy (the President that started the Peace
Corps!) during one of our training sessions the other day, and one of the
things he said was that there was “No feeling of PRIDE more real than being in
the Peace Corps.” Sometimes when I think
about all that I need and want to do while I’m here, it feels daunting and
impossible. But then I think about the
fact that I am here, and how blessed I am to be here, and I feel so excited and
just full of JOY. And every time
introduce myself, “O a’u o le Pisikoa.”
“I’m the Peace Corps.” I feel a feeling of pride that I have never felt
before! It’s a great feeling. SO from now on, every time I feel annoyed that I
can’t go to the bathroom without everyone in the village talking about it or I
can’t eat a cracker without 14 pairs of eyes staring at me, I will remember
that feeling.
I am
excited to go back to Utulaelae tomorrow. I miss my village. I miss my family and friends and the sunset
on the beach and choir practice and so many little things it’s kind of
absurd. It’s unreal that I have only
been there for three weeks because it already feels like my home. Based on how sad our goodbyes were when we
were leaving to come here, I don’t even want to imagine how hard it will be
when we leave for good in December.
That’s the hardest part for me.
Making relationships and leaving them behind. Not a day goes by that I still don’t miss all
my families and friends in Tonga, and I can already tell Samoa will be the same
way. Speaking of missing people, I have
now had a total of five women tell me I’m “leaga” (which I think is the
equivalent of bad/ugly, but it’s used in lots of situations so I’m still a
little iffy) because I’m the only child and I left my parents behind. They ask if I miss them and I say of course,
and they say “Leaga oe, you leave your parents behind alone to miss you.” I try to tell them that it’s ok, my parents
are strong, but I guess you just don’t leave your parents in the
fa’asamoa. So here’s a shout out to my
family in the states! I love and miss you guys and you have a lot of Samoans
feeling bad for you having a daughter that would just desert you!
Yes, I totally agree "LEAGA" at you Allyson. You have left me all alone. Mom "Leaga Leaga"
ReplyDelete