Well, I guess the journey began about 22 years ago. It's funny because it feels like everything in my life has led me to where I am right now. It sounds like a sappy country song, yes, but it's true. My friends make a lot of jokes about my plans to "Change the World" and although I know they are always kidding, I can't help but to feel the sarcasm that is laced in those words and think to myself a little, "but what if we DID change the world?"
I just started reading this book, "Kisses from Katie" and I have identified so much with so many of the things that she has said so far. She wrote, "Sometimes working in a Third World country makes me feel like I am emptying the ocean with an eyedropper. I have learned to be okay with this feeling because I have learned that I will not change the world. Jesus will do that. I can, however, change the world for one person. And if one person sees the love of Christ in me, it is worth every minute. In fact, it is worth spending my life for." We can't try and change the world, because it's too big and we are too small, but we can try to change it for one person. On the grand scheme of the world, only God is big enough to change all of it. He is the only one with the power to reach everyone and to touch every person's heart. But as His servants, we can try and touch one of His children. We can love as many people as we can and love them as much as we can. And that is enough for me.
I am so excited to go to Samoa. I am so excited to go and meet the children I will be teaching and the families in my village. I know that my little contribution as an english teacher will not be huge, but I also know that every sacrifice will be worth it if I am able to make one child feel loved. I know that if one person can feel the love of Christ through me, then the next two years will be completely worth every minute. I know that we don't have to go across the world to make a difference, I see this in the lives of my family and friends. I see this in my mother who can make a difference in the life of one little boy who just needs love and a good example. I see this in my father, as he sacrifices his time and money to help anyone he can. I see this in the sacrifices of my best friend as she teaches her daughter about Christ and the happiness that His gospel brings. I see it in the lives of my friends who are social workers, and nurses, and teachers-- they are changing lives everyday, right here in Kentucky. But for me, God has led me to Samoa. He has given me a deep love for the people of polynesia and has led me to the Peace Corps. He has given me the opportunity to not only try and help these people in whatever way I can, but to also be able to learn from them. Because despite whatever good things I will try and do for the people of Samoa, I know that I will still come out learning more from them than they do from me. So in many ways, I know that this will end up being a selfish experience. I know that I will come back a better and stronger person. I know that I will come back with a better perspective on life.
It's been exactly one year this month since I started the application process and I fly out October 5th. Usually I'm not this cheesy of a writer, or quite so longwinded (who am I kidding, I always talk a lot!), but I feel like this is an important part of my journey. I'll keep posting! Stay tuned for more experiences and lessons learned... and knowing me and my clumsiness/bad luck, there will most likely be atlest a few interesting near death experiences to share on a somewhat regular basis.
YAY!! I'm so excited that you have a blog! now I can keep track of your life without bugging emily all of the time :D have fun! i know they are gonna love you there!! -Tara
ReplyDeleteChanging one life can change the world. Already, because of the words in this blog I have a desire to be a better person by showing Christ's love. Thank you Allyson for your ability to teach not only English to Samoan children, but how to extend Christ's love.
ReplyDelete